Tips and Tricks to Avoid Ant Infestations
The little ant line that serves as a cute cartoon is not as cute when it’s happening in your backyard.
Ants can contaminate your food, and some can even bite or sting. These stings can be very irritating and, in some cases, even fatal if the individual stung is allergic. Prevention is the best step you can take to protect from ants because they can be very difficult to remove when they form in large numbers on a property.
When you’re picnicking or having a backyard barbeque, crumbs and spills are bound to happen. Ants love that. It provides a food and water source that they will take full advantage of. These tips from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) are simple and easy for homeowners to execute and will help you to avoid infestations.
- Remove sources of moisture or standing water; fix the leaky hose or sprinkler system to take away their water source.
- Clean up crumbs and spills ASAP. Leaving these things as is can invite ants and other pests.
- Keep it clean; clean your home, especially the kitchen, regularly to avoid creating food sources for ants.
- Pick up your pet’s food dishes when they are done eating.
- Keep tree branches and other vegetation cut back from the house.
- Pest-proof your home by sealing any cracks around the foundation of your home and repairing ripped screens. These little holes and cracks can create entry points for many pests.
To learn more about ants and other pests, please visit Smarterpestcontrol.com.