During the spring, everybody gets the spring cleaning bug (yes, pun intended). Spring cleaning will not only help you get organized, it will also help you pest-proof your home. Typically, spring cleaning is when you organize your closet, put winter things in storage, and take spring and summer items out of storage.
While you’re getting in all the nooks and crannies of your home, it’s an ideal time to take some steps to prevent pests from entering your home or inspect your home for damages caused by pests. Even attending to the smallest crack in your home can pay off in the long run as this small hole or crack could grow much bigger if not properly attended to.
The spring months also mark the onset of harmful pests including stinging insects like yellowjackets, wasps and hornets, making pest prevention especially important this time of year. As such, we recommend these quick and simple pest-proofing tips provided by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA):
- Seal up cracks and small openings along the foundation of the house.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping counters and emptying the garbage frequently.
- Keep all food containers sealed.
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Screen windows and doors.